Contact SaRS


Hollinwood Business Centre
Albert Street
Oldham, Greater Manchester


0161 393 8411

Upcoming Events
« March 2019 »
Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Route to Engineering Council Registration

The Safety and Reliability Society provides a route to Engineering Council Registration. To make an application for registration through SaRS as Chartered Engineer (CEng) or Incorporated Engineer (IEng) please complete the following steps:

green tickRead the Society guidance on application and CPD, the statement of competences guidance
green tickRead the Engineering Council Guidance links on UK-SPEC and benefits of registration
green tickDownload an application form and complete CEng/IEng Application form
green tickEmail or post the draft form to the Society office. Your application will be peer reviewed by our ERC Committee and you will be appointed a mentor to guide you through the registration process.
green tickWhen you application is ready for submission it will be sent to The Society of Environmental Engineers (SEE), a licenced body of the Engineering Council with whom the Society operates an agreement*.
green tickYou will need to make a payment to the SEE, details of which can be found here.
green tickA panel will meet to discuss your application and to decide the route you will take to complete your application. This is typically a technical report and/or and interview and is described more fully in the guidance notes.
green tickIf you are required to attend a Professional Review interview, you may wish to read the guidance document which will prepare you for the interview.
green tickWhen this has been completed to the satisfaction of the panel, you will be registered with the Engineering Council and informed of fees.
green tickRegister with mycareerpath to complete continuing professional development

Members are assessed within the Society on their ability to meet the competence and commitment criteria, set out in the ECUK document UK-SPEC, as safety and/or reliability engineers.

Click on the links below to download the application form and guidance:

Application form and statement of competences – please download and complete the application form

SaRS CPD Guidance (mycareerpath) – if you are currently a SaRS Member you can register for SaRS mycareerpath in the members area of the website

Engineering Council CPD Guidance

Guidance on statement of competences  – includes examples of evidence that needs to be produced in completing the statement of competencies

Engineering Council UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence (UK-SPEC)

Guidance on the Professional Review (PR) Interview

Benefits and details of Registration 

*The process of carrying out the ECUK procedures for registration are then conducted by the SEE, who provide this process by way of a joint membership agreement. Members following this route may take out a form of membership of SEE if they wish but are safety and/or reliability engineers, not environmental engineers.

IMPORTANT: If you are applying for CEng/IEng and SaRS membership on the same application forms the Proposer and Seconder of applications for MEMBER of the Society at least one should be a Corporate Member of the Society.  If the application is for FELLOW then both Proposer and Seconder should be a Fellow of the Society.
They should be satisfied that the information given on the form is correct and should initial those particulars in the Experience section of which they have personal knowledge.  The form is to be signed by them ONLY WHEN THEY ARE SATISIFIED that the application is justified.
Applicants who do not know any members of the Society may submit an application without SaRS Sponsors provided both their Sponsors are industry professionals.   Although applicants are  encouraged to seek the appropriate SaRS Sponsors and the office can provide help in identifying suitable SaRS members, Applications not having SaRS sponsors are treated as exceptional cases on their own merit.