Anyone can join the Safety and Reliability Society. We welcome applications from varied backgrounds. If you work in safety, reliability or risk please see the membership benefits below.
If you are interested in safety, reliability or risk and wish to support the Society all you need to do is apply to become an Associate – please apply here
If you are interested in Affiliate Organisation Membership – please apply here
Please read out Application Guidance before applying for membership with SaRS.
Membership of SaRS is a nationally and internationally recognised standard of expertise in Safety and Reliability. As a Member of the Society you will receive our quarterly peer reviewed Journal and our monthly newsletter as well as discounted access to our conferences and events and free access to our Member’s Area on our website. You will also be entitled to the designatory letters MSaRS or FSaRS if you become a Fellow.
If your career is in logistics or safety, reliability or risk then we have grades of membership that can take you from being a student through to being a Chartered Engineer. If you would like to join please download and complete an application form. If you are unsure what grade of membership you should apply for please contact the SaRS office.
We have a network of branches with members who can help you with your application. Please see the branches pages for contacts.
Membership benefits include:
- Receipt of our Newsletter
- Receipt of our quarterly peer reviewed Journal which is published by Taylor & Francis and indexed on Thomson Reuters databases
- Discounted attendance at events co-sponsored by SaRS
- Regular branch Events and access to Branch networks
- Membership area with online access newsletter and Journal
- Designatory letters MSaRS or FSaRS
- Access to online CPD planning via mycareerpath
Affiliate members enjoy all the above benefits plus:
- Discounted advertising with SaRS (50% reduction on cost)
- A listing on the SaRS website and rotating logo on the front page
- A listing in the Safety and Reliability Journal
- Access to the Companies Scheme which offers Affiliate employees discounted membership (when paid for by their employer)
Application forms and fees
Grades of membership are:
To join as a Member you will need to:
- have an appropriate honours first degree or equivalent (recognised by the Society). SaRS members have first degrees in various backgrounds such as physics, maths, chemistry, engineering and psychology.
- or be registered as a Chartered Engineer, Incorporated Engineer or equivalent
- and have 2 years relevant experience in safety and reliability.
Please download the Member application form here and complete it. The subscription for Membership for 2020 is £126.00.
If you do not have an honours degree you can still apply – please see the Experienced Route to Membership at the bottom of the page.
Fellows must have the qualifications and experience required for the class of Member and demonstrate that they have held a senior or eminent position of responsibility in the Safety and Reliability field for 2 or more years IN ADDITION to the experience necessary for MEMBER.
This can be demonstrated both by management responsibility and by eminence demonstrated by technical innovation, writing or significant contributions to relevant committees. For full details please see the application guidance.
Please download the Fellow application form here. The subscription for Fellowship for 2020 is £189.00.
Associate Members need to satisfy either
- the educational requirements for MEMBER
- have 2 years of relevant experience for MEMBER
- and intend to go on to fulfil the criteria and apply for full Membership.
Please download the Associate Member application form here. The subscription for Associate Membership for 2020 is £93.00.
If you are undergoing an approved course of full-time further education and intend to fulfil the requirements for admission to the class of Associate Member when your course finishes, you can join as a Student Member
Please download the Student application form here. The student subscription for Membership for 2020 is £51.00.
EXPERIENCE ROUTE TO MEMBER
If you don’t have an honours degree in a relevant subject you can apply for full Membership via the Experience Route. To apply through the Experience Route to Membership you must have:
- 2 years relevant experience
- hold a Higher National Certificate or a Diploma or a Foundation Degree in engineering or technology, plus appropriate further learning to degree level
- hold an NVQ4 or SVQ4 which has been approved as appropriate further learning
- demonstrate your ability to meet the criteria through a mix of application form, CV and a Review Report
- provide a technical report. You will be contacted by the SaRS Office, if this applies to you.
Please download the Experience Route to Member application form here. The subscription for Membership for 2020 is £126.00.
To apply for individual membership please select the appropriate membership application form and the Individual Guidance for Application from the list below.
You can either:
print the form, complete and send the hard copy to the office
Save the form to your PC, complete and e-mail.
Please note that we will need original signatures for proposers, seconders and applicants where applicable.
- Associate Member application form
- Member Grade application form (standard route and experience route)
- Fellow Application form
- Student Application form
- Individual Guidance for Application
For Registration as Chartered Engineer or Incorporated Engineer with Engineering Council through SaRS please go to the following page for more information on this EC Registration.
Membership subscription fees for 2020* are as follows:
Affiliate Membership subscription fees for 2019/2020** are as follows:
*As from 1st January, 2020.
** As from 30th June, 2019.