Using SaRS resources for Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
Attending webnars, reading journals and taking part in branch activities with other safety and reliability practitioners is a great way to access fresh information, network and keep you Continuing Professional Development (CPD) record up to date.
After attending a webinar or meeting, or reading journals you should add this as an activity on your CPD record and take the opportunity to reflect on your learning. Here are some hints and tips to updating your CPD record:
- It is always best to update it as soon after the activity as you can, this way the event will be fresh in your mind. Adding some time in your calendar on a regular basis, can help you get into the habit of updating your CPD record.
- To make the most of your CPD record, make sure you have added a development plan. Your plan should about your current job responsibilities, your future goals or objectives, and identify your strengths and weaknesses or gaps in your knowledge and skills.
- There are many activities as well as SaRS resources you can use for CPD, such as work based learning or attending conferences, both online and in person
- When adding an activity to your CPD record be sure to include some reflective notes. Reflection is an important tool that will help you develop self-awareness and understand where there may be gaps in your knowledge and skills. It will also help you appreciate any new learning or insights gained. An easy way to write your reflective account is to answer these questions:
- What was the activity?
- Why did you carry out this activity?
- What understanding/knowledge did you gain?
- How will you apply the knowledge gained?
You can find out more about Continuing Professional Development, including a case study and how to develop your plan here